Thursday, November 17, 2011

ETHIOPIAN BEEF TIBS



OK if you read my last post, you probably are wondering how I made my delicious meal (Ethiopian Tibs). Well here is the recipe. 

Beef (about 1 pound, free range/organic steak if you can get it, any cut will do)
1 large onion
1 green pepper

Berbere spice blend (buy online, Ethiopian groceries, at local international grocery, or make a substitute with 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon ginger powder, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon dry basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground clove all mixed in a bowl together)

Cube beef into small cubes, about 1/2 inches square. Marinate meat for a few hours in Awaze sauce (1 tablespoon berbere, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon red wine). This is my modification. My mom cooked the beef dry in the pan, then added seasoning, but I think this would be a nice addition.
Sauté onion, sliced or diced, in enough vegetable oil to cover; tradition is to use 1/2 cup of water, adding more as needed until onion is soft. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.

Lower heat, add beef and thinly sliced or diced green pepper, turning regularly, until cooked through, about another 10 minutes. If cooking dry beef, cook in separate pan first, then add to onions and bell pepper. If using marinated beef, go ahead and add to already sauteed onions with bell pepper.

Season again with 1 tablespoon berbere and a splash of red wine. Saute another 5 minutes until liquid from wine cooks out.

There you have it!! It’s a simple meal to cook, it take about an hour and can serve about 2 – 3 person. 

Enjoy and Happy Thanks Giving!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. That recipe and picture looked great. I was actually at a friends house the other day and he made something very similar, although it was served over some rice. It was very delicious. Anyway very cool post, I look forward to seeing what you post next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tadiwos! I'm going to try this out...once I get over my Turkey coma from Thanksgiving. Hope you and yours have a very nice Thanksgiving! ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tadiwos, This looks quite fantastic, and if I still ate meat I would totally try it. I'm wondering how this would case if you substituted the beef for tofu? Somehow I don't think it would be as rich. Regardless, thank you for following up with the actual recipe.

    ReplyDelete